Targa pic 110 Beaconsfield_1.jpg (85.66 KiB) Viewed 9145 times
Targa pic 107 Paradise_1.jpg
Targa pic 107 Paradise_1.jpg (91.1 KiB) Viewed 9145 times
Street RA-23
Track TA-23

HKS7MGT

Re: Classic Celica's in Motorsport

Postby HKS7MGT » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:54 pm

I have soooo much stuff including pictures of the rare 16v Toyota engines but don't know how crazy i should go so i stated true to the subject and included pictures i have collected over time of Celica's in motorsport.

orange

Postby orange » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:06 am

HKS7MGT,

Love the first black and white pic of the guys with the soup strainers and side burns... CLassic!

I like the look of that yellow Toyota vision of the future too. I miss the kind curves of the 70-90's.

All the things like the F-15, F-16 fighter planes, early mx-5 with front grill akin to the F-16, 911 porsche, jag xj220 etc etc. Now we have things like the nissan 350 which might look nice if it was for the pointy plastic lights spoiling the curvatious lines.

Alot of things are more frumpy now too, like the commodores and 350z too i guess (kind of like J-lo with a fat rear end :D). They are somthing akin to a sneaker shoe?

HKS7MGT

Postby HKS7MGT » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:48 pm

Yeah, well in those days, it was about passion where as these days it's about money (a business). In those days it was about using your drawing skills to design a car and hence how they seem to come to life and how we can relate to the shapes and styling so much. These days its all about the computer programs generated cars and they may look inspiring and challenging today, but tomorrow they'll be out designed by something else. Consumerism also takes part here too.

MWP

Postby MWP » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:27 pm

Awesome late '70s Japanese racing videos featuring a butchered RA25/28... which kills the competition! :D
Apparently this (sort of) RA28 had a 500hp turbo engine, dont know what type though.
There is a couple of TA22's in it as well.

Three parts to it... 3rd is probably the best, 30mins all up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYv4rVyHEpw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSlUV4YyHY0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwirbECq5M4
Mark.
Daily: Toyota RAV4 ACA22R
Project: Celica GT4 ST185, Celica RA28 (1UZ-FE powered)
Previous: Camry VZV21R, Starlet GT Turbo, Corona RT104
Treasurer of the SA Classic Celica Club.

orange

Postby orange » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:31 am

HKS7MGT wrote:Yeah, well in those days, it was about passion where as these days it's about money (a business). In those days it was about using your drawing skills to design a car and hence how they seem to come to life and how we can relate to the shapes and styling so much. These days its all about the computer programs generated cars and they may look inspiring and challenging today, but tomorrow they'll be out designed by something else. Consumerism also takes part here too.

Yeah they used to hand craft the 1:1 scale models, thats why the classic cars' shapes flow so well.

I've done 3d animation advanced, and i've tried my hand at modelling a couple of cars, it is very difficult to make something really nice, but very easy to bang out somthing like a 350z. "POP" oh now you have wheel arches; "POP" now you have a bonnet scoop...But to get the shapes to flow nicely in a cad program is very challenging. Very easy to go too far and then the shapes flow too much and then the car doesn't have any definition.

It probably cost alot of money and time to make an old 1:1 model by hand so the expectation of the final model would be very high. Whereas now any ape can bang out a model on a computer :x Just because they can doesn't mean they should :lol:

HKS7MGT

Postby HKS7MGT » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:37 pm

Very interesting Orange, but not surprised as all businesses are not in it for their love of loyaled and valued customers, but for the love of money.

MWP - Those video's rock mate. You also need to suss out the other various videos that pop up on the right hand side, namely one series called 'Toyota Motorsport History' or something to that discription.

I loved that Number 1 blow thru Turbo'd RA25 going hard towards to end and showing the boys how it's done. It looked like a 18RG Turbo under there and the charged air was blowing thru two inlets (maybe a twin carb setup), but not much more detail could be derived fromt he short 5sec showing.

When they installed the engine there was no sump, so one could assume it was a dry sump or just there was no sump when installed at that time. I was hoping to see one of 16V head engines in there, but being only 1973, they would have been having enough fun with the new 18RG at the time.

HKS7MGT

Postby HKS7MGT » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:52 pm

i saw this thread on Toymods and i had to post the pics up here too. http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48855

Its the TA63 Safari Winning Rally car with the infomus 18RG 16Valve at the beginning and then the 4TGTE where there were only 200 road going cars and the rally spec ones on top of that.

And further down the same thread are some links to the same book but show a RA20 Celica Rally Car that used a 16V version of the 18RG (from what it looks like) but interestingly enough, their homologation of the 16V engine expired (ouch) and were forced to use the old 8V engines instead for half a year - that's interesting!

MWP

Postby MWP » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:00 pm

Mark.
Daily: Toyota RAV4 ACA22R
Project: Celica GT4 ST185, Celica RA28 (1UZ-FE powered)
Previous: Camry VZV21R, Starlet GT Turbo, Corona RT104
Treasurer of the SA Classic Celica Club.

hamza

Postby hamza » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:58 pm

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
THE BEST FLEARING IV SEEN SO FAR!!! AWSOME CELICA :lol:

HKS7MGT

Postby HKS7MGT » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:24 am

hamza wrote::o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
THE BEST FLEARING IV SEEN SO FAR!!! AWSOME CELICA :lol:

Ditto that! I wonder what type of racing this car is being used for (catagory)?

HKS7MGT

Postby HKS7MGT » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am

it has a Toyota V8 and runs in the NZ racing events, in the NZGT class, (dunno what that means)

Here is his profile:
http://www.gtrnz.co.nz/Profiles/StevenLea.htm

It looks like he didn't even compete with this Celica in 2009 either - bummer.

damian

Postby damian » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:34 pm

yeah that flare job on the guards is awesome, looks tough as!

and the wing, he can't even shut the boot cause of mounting points underneath?? or is it just open cause he was getting his helmet out?

fuel filler - does it have no cap? is it an internal hinged cover race car style so fuel can can just be plugged in on pit stops? and he had to change it from passenger to driver side for pit action too i guess.

dunno how it'd go on the streets here with defecting :D

is it running 18' rims? they look nice

from their website...

SuperGT, New Zealand Super Sedans and OSCA North Island have joined together to become GT Racing New Zealand Inc. (GTRNZ)

GTRNZ promotes the kind of racing that has been the back bone of Kiwi Motorsport since the beginning. Cars from international series like US Transam, Aussie V8 Supercars, British & European series combine with locally built specials. No restrictions! Spaceframes, Turbos, V8s and Rotaries whatever you need to go FAST! All together in one racing series for the first time.

And not just one new class. There are three classes racing at each meeting split in two two races. One for the GT1 and GT2 New Zealand Racing Series and one for the NZGT Racing Series. The classes are determined based on performance (lap-times) with reverse grids and handicaps thrown in to make sure the racing fast and furious.

no restrictions!! awesome!!
Street RA-23
Track TA-23

Return to “General Celica Talk”