Universal cross member + steering conversion from USA

General talk about Celicas.
orange

Universal cross member + steering conversion from USA

Postby orange » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:53 pm

Quote from 1stgencelica forums. This guy also has access to a custom ITB induction plenum for the 3S-GE black top.

ryojikaji wrote:Actually, there is one big thing I have been quiet about. I should probably preface this by saying that I don't work for xcessive. I helped them develop and test this, but it's not my product. Anyway...

Here's a copy of my facebook post about it:

I have been testing the prototype crossmember from Xcessive Manufacturing for 6 months now. The results have been excellent and they are moving forward with production. The crossmember is based on ae86 and designed fit multiple chassis and accommodate several different engines. Steering rack position is also adjustable allowing for high angle setups without spacers or cutting. Configurations are flexible and the material can handle the abuse. I took these pictures today.

My setup is:
1973 Celica
3SGE Beams engine
ae86 suspension
aw11 steering rack

As you can see in the pictures, the forward rack position keeps the tie rod end behind the rack eliminating overcentering which has been a constant problem with the stock ae86 crossmember. From an installation standpoint this will make mounting a 3S, 1UZ etc pretty easy in any older chassis. Things are coming together for these old things. More soon!

*edit*

Ok, so I went over there and got more info. A complete unit with new rack straps and hardware will be $435. I'll try to sneak some pics of the production units :)

For you guys this means 3S,UZ,JZ etc are a bolt in. It's working really well for me and I beat the $#!+ out of it for 6 months. This should make things much much easier 8)

HKS7MGT

Re: Universal cross member + steering conversion from USA

Postby HKS7MGT » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:32 pm

Looks great and awesome that they are thinking of future
Proofing these cars. I wonder if this cross member can still take an original T or an R series engine?

MWP

Re: Universal cross member + steering conversion from USA

Postby MWP » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:48 pm

It looks good. Only change i would make is having the rack mounts adjustable.
It should take a T, but not an R (not with the original sump anyway).
Mark.
Daily: Toyota RAV4 ACA22R
Project: Celica GT4 ST185, Celica RA28 (1UZ-FE powered)
Previous: Camry VZV21R, Starlet GT Turbo, Corona RT104
Treasurer of the SA Classic Celica Club.

Return to “General Celica Talk”