[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5282: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5282: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
Treating panels with Deoxydine - Classic Celica Club of South Australia Forum

Treating panels with Deoxydine

Write ups and tutorials for maintenance and modifications.
(Threads will be moved here by moderators)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
orange

Treating panels with Deoxydine

Postby orange » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:59 am

I thought i'd put this here as the topic might get drowned out in the technical forum? maybe it belongs there though.

Deoxydine:
Deoxydine is phosphoric acid (found in Coca cola). A treatment using deoxydine covers metal with a protective layer of iron phosphate.

In the picture you can see a good example of surface rust which appears very quickly if you leave metal bare. Flash photos highlight where the rust is and also clearly shows the hazey blue sheen that you're looking for atfer a treatment using deoxydine (i will upload a better picture at some stage).

To treat bare metal with deoxydine you need:
-a bucket of clean water.
-a thick sponge (a real sponge like a car washing sponge; not a kitchen one).
-a clean dry rag that will absorb water (and an air gun/blower if you have one)
-some steel wool
-deoxydine

***Note: When treating with deoxydine do small areas at a time (2/3rd's of a square m or a 1/4 to 1/5th of an A22 bonnet)

Step one: Apply deoxydine liberaly to a fair bunch of steel wool, scrub firmly but gently in circular motions till you have covered say 1/5th of an A22 bonnet or a 1/5th of your door.
The area being treated should be wet with deoxydine by now. (surface rust will be removed in this step unless its deeper then just surface rust)

Step two: Get the clean damp sponge from the clean bucket of water. Gently wipe the the area being treated.
This step is simple but important. You're starting a chemical reaction at this point. You're not washing the deoxydine away so don't saturate the area with water - the sponge should be damp. This step needs to be done reasonably quickly and immediately after the first step.

Step three: Get your clean dry rag - rub quickly and vigorously to dry the area being treated. (this step also needs to immediately follow step two and needs to be done quickly).
***Note: Now that the surface is dry don't get it wet or your work maybe spoilt.
Note: On completing this there may be some fine white powder, this is a salt that can be wiped away with a dry cloth and unless you have ended up with a thick amount of this it will not affect painting.
This step finishes the chemical reaction. An air gun/blower can help with this step, but its not a necessity. Don't press so hard that the panel is bouncing/warping/wobbeling but you do need to be firm to dry the area quickly. From memory this contact and motion helps the chemical process.

You should see a blue hazey sheen on the area you have treated. Don't let it get wet or the protective layer maybe ruined. Ideally you want to be painting this within 5min of it being totaly dry, though, its not going to hurt if that time is extended, provided moisture doesn't ruin the finish of the treatment and dust doesnt spoil the clean surface.

***Note: This process can be difficult, some brands of deoxydine are junk and don't seem to work. You will definately see a hazey blue sheen if you have been successful. If it doesn't work the first time you're not going to cause any problems for the panel by trying again.

***Note: You can use this process to treat rusty panels and it will help to "control" rust. So if you're working on a car you don't care about and need to paint it then remove excess rust (dont go making holes unless your going to weld in new bits) and then use the deoxydine process to treat and "control" whats left - this will extend the life of the..."repair"/paint job.

HKS7MGT
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Treating panels with Deoxydine

Postby HKS7MGT » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:18 pm

This is awesome. Thanks! ... and i just created a thread in the technical section too, but never mind.

Is the deoxydine a 'rust preventor' type product? What are the best brands to look out for?

MWP

Postby MWP » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:09 pm

Nice write up, thanks :)

Yes it is, its also known as "rust converter".
I use POR15 Metal Ready.

Best place to get POR15 products in Adelaide is from "Paint Supplies SA" on Westlakes Blvd.
Be warned though, the stuff isnt cheap.
POR15 rust preventive paint is around $100/litre. It does go a very long way though, and can be brushed on.
Mark.
Daily: Toyota RAV4 ACA22R
Project: ,
Previous: Camry VZV21R, , Corona RT104
Treasurer of the .

orange

Postby orange » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:38 pm

HKS7MGT

Postby HKS7MGT » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:13 pm

Duely noted - cheers gents.

Can i ask; I was looking/thinking about getting my engine bay sand blasted cause gunk is baked on the exhaust of the chasis rail and under the battery region but if i have it sand blasted at he panel beaters, would they need to prep and prime the metal straight away?

If not can i use the following methods to assist in stripping those gunky areas;
- paint stripper
- hot water high pressure hose (i already used a cold water Bunnings mid prices water pressure one with no luck on the gunk but good on stripping flaked paint)
- good old fashion metal scrappers (might leave marks though).

Basically can i achieve a decent job stripping the bay from my back yard or should i send the car in?

Cheers lads

MWP

Postby MWP » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:30 pm

You can do it in the back yard.
To strip a lot of my car, i used wire & flap sanding wheels on an angle grinder.
Mark.
Daily: Toyota RAV4 ACA22R
Project: ,
Previous: Camry VZV21R, , Corona RT104
Treasurer of the .

orange

Postby orange » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:52 am

The 3M clean'n strip pad on an angle grinder is awesome and will clean away anything.

I'm trying to write a thread on this method for people who haven't done it before, but its challenging without pictures.....ill have to make some.

HKS7MGT

Postby HKS7MGT » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:35 pm

I've been doing a lot of reading over the past few days and it mentions on POR 15 Rust Preventative webpage that it dry's very thick. So if i use this product on a portion of a panel (or only a quarter of the engine bay) will there be a visible line/bump where the paint ends? Do you know what i'm getting at?

orange

Postby orange » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:33 pm

HKS7MGT

Postby HKS7MGT » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:20 pm

Return to “HOWTO's / FAQ's”