St185 won't start

Toyota Celica technical talk and help.
Aerrow

St185 won't start

Postby Aerrow » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:32 pm

Hey guys,

Recently ran into some trouble when my 1990 ST185 stalled and then wouldn't start. It had been on the road driving perfectly for about 3 months after I put a JDM Gen 2 3SGTE in there wired with the original aus delivered loom and ecu until one day the engine died (no splutter or limping). Since then the car has not started, doesn't even fire. I have done general troubleshooting such as ECU diagnostic and checked for fuel supply and spark to no avail. I have checked vacuum hoses and sensors but all seems to be ok. Before it stopped running I had an issue with a leaking coolant hose at the rear (flywheel end) of the engine, but I have repaired it and the car ran for about a week after the incident. I am now starting to wonder whether the issue is with the ECU, does anyone know how I can test the ECU?

Cheers,

Tony.

MWP

Re: St185 won't start

Postby MWP » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:31 pm

Mark.
Daily: Toyota RAV4 ACA22R
Project: Celica GT4 ST185, Celica RA28 (1UZ-FE powered)
Previous: Camry VZV21R, Starlet GT Turbo, Corona RT104
Treasurer of the SA Classic Celica Club.

Aerrow

Re: St185 won't start

Postby Aerrow » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:51 pm

Thanks for the tip MWP.

I have gone through the BGB's trouble shooting and I have replaced several parts from the ignition (igniter coil assy and igniter) and I have tested the resistance of the high tension coils and the distributor. To the best of my knowledge everything checks out and now all I have left is to try another ECU. Anyone know where I would be able to source an ECU for trouble shooting?

Cheers.

Return to “Technical Discussions”