Front Diff Options?

Toyota Celica technical talk and help.
Xerxas Jade

Front Diff Options?

Postby Xerxas Jade » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:14 pm

So..

Im sure this has come up before and I am 99% certain the answer is no but im asking anyway.
Other then Neil Bates.. Anyone else got a Front LSD for a ALL-TRAC if so where did you get it from?

I have been able to soruce Rear LSD and worked out a couple of options with the Centre.. IE: locker Welded or Viscus but unlike a FWD system LSD for front diff on the AWD box seems to be a no go. (I would love to be proven wrong)

Other things i'm thinking about is.. welding it?? I haven't been able to find a spool either otherwise id do that. I am a little worried about the amount of stress that will have on the drive line one the centre lock is activated but at this stage i'm running out of other ideas. Having not pulled it apart yet not sure if welding is even a option.
Google has not been very helpful on this front so thought I would ask.

This is for a gravel build so not to worried about low speed drivability more trying to work out what options I have RE stopping 3 wheel drive.
Looking forward to peoples thoughts.

*Edit* Reworded
Tynan

Daily's: ED Falcon, ST204 Celica, AE101 1.8L & Camry V10 Liftback
Toys: AE82 ??? Dirt Rolla Under Construction (My Favourite) , Series 1 RX7 Savannah, Series 6 RX7 Tarmac Rally Car, Lancer Evo 3 Tarmac Rally Car
Previous: 2x AE82's 4afe, 2x Camry V20 Wagons

MWP

Re: Front Diff Options?

Postby MWP » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:29 pm

See here: http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=43
There are lots of discussions on LSD front diff's... as far as i can tell, there are no easily availiable options atm.
Bates might be the only quickish source for a LSD front diff, but last i spoke to Darryl Bush, it was >$5k.

For the center diff there is really only one option (other than locking it up), and that is a rebuilt viscous center with thicker fluid.
There is a guy on Alltrac.net that lives in Europe that does it resonably cheaply.
Its possible to DIY this but itll require a lathe (to cut the unit in half), building a jig (to keep it stright when re-welding), some good quality welding and sourcing the special silicone fluid.

Let me know what you decide to do... there is a decent chance i'll do the same, so might be able to reduce any shipping costs, etc.

BTW, what rear did you go with? I assume it wasn't the factory torsen?
Mark.
Daily: Toyota RAV4 ACA22R
Project: Celica GT4 ST185, Celica RA28 (1UZ-FE powered)
Previous: Camry VZV21R, Starlet GT Turbo, Corona RT104
Treasurer of the SA Classic Celica Club.

Xerxas Jade

Postby Xerxas Jade » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:19 pm

So the centre in my case isn't so bad, because I'll be running the AE-95 transfer case and centre diff. And that model has its own factory locker. so I'll just run with a centre diff freshen up.

Rear Cusco 1.5 into ST185 housing that way I get IRS instead of live rear axle and luckily the ratios work as well.

The European option might be worth exploring tho it's torsion but still better then nothing, I looked at that yesterday concerned me that direct contact details arnt readily available. If I go the European option I'll probs get a couple so I have spares. :)
Tynan

Toys: AE82 ??? Dirt Rolla Under Construction (My Favourite) , Series 1 RX7 Savannah, Series 6 RX7 Tarmac Rally Car, Lancer Evo 3 Tarmac Rally Car

MWP

Postby MWP » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:13 am

Im confused... what is this going into?
Mark.

Xerxas Jade

Postby Xerxas Jade » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:29 am

A Corolla AWD wagon.

The reasoning behind using the All track AE-95 at the front is it has the correct bell housing.
The all track system is for the front and centre diff's is the same between the wagons and celica's except the wagon also has a factory center locker.

Only difference at the back is wagon got the AE-86 solid rear axle and the celica's got IRS :)
All the ratios match and the way the system was built is the same.

And who wouldn't want IRS :)
Tynan

MWP

Postby MWP » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Ah ha.

It'll be interesting to see how well that locking center holds up.
Mark.

Xerxas Jade

Postby Xerxas Jade » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:18 pm

One maybe two events..
Tynan

Return to “Technical Discussions”