RA23 vs TA22 front ends...

Toyota Celica technical talk and help.
orange

RA23 vs TA22 front ends...

Postby orange » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:02 pm

I've always thought the the way to tell a TA2x from a RA2X is the front fender and the indicator/parking light setup and also the lip on the front apron and fender (or lack of).
eg
-TA22 has a small side indicator, a "corner" indicator (with angled fitting to the fender), and a parking light above the front apron.
-RA23 has a small side indicator, a "corner" parking light (with squared off fitting to fender, and an indicator above the front apron or in the front bumper.
*As for the front fender lip and "lip" on the front apron that goes on the RA2x.
*also the RA2x fender is longer to match the larger engine bay.
*The TA2x has slightly wider, more rounded panel work from the edge where the panel attaches to its mounting point.
see picture (will update this soon as my shell had the side indicator on the fender closed off....)

The problem is I've been told that TA2x JDM front fenders are different compared to ADM TA22 front fenders :( There maybe some confusion from this source as my fenders have had the small side indicator port welded shut. In these pictures though (below) we can see something interesting.

This car has twin vents in front of the windscreen like a TA22 does (rather then the single vent that the RA23 has) and it has an indicator where a TA22 does, but the corner indicator mounting point has the shape of an RA23 parking light. It also has a clear "parking light" like a TA22 (above the front apron) rather then an indicator in that position like a RA23 has. I find this confusing.

To be even more confused look at the white Celica in the background, top right. It has a the twin vents where the front windscreen is suggesting that its a TA2x, but then it has lights in the configuration of an RA2x. Also note that it has a TA22 styled front apron and front fender (it is missing the extra lip on those panels that an RA2x would have)....more confused now

Now be even more baffled when you read the description of the fender options here....
http://english.adessa-project.com/parts.php?b_cat=body
They list the two different front fenders (judging by the corner light fitting) as both being compatible with TA22. Its also hard to tell whether or not the JDM RA2x cars had the front lip that the ADM ones had????
Last edited by orange on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hamza

Re: Front fenders and JDM vs ADM different?

Postby hamza » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:57 pm

Yes you can, can't belive you have not got it yet.. Lol
This is the fender you need:
Item NO SNFF5380C12
It is for a ta22, no matter what colour the lenses, as they are both the same, the difference between 22 and 23 is the shape, NOT the colour.

orange

Re: Front fenders and JDM vs ADM different?

Postby orange » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:08 pm

Yeah i was always under the impression that this was the item i wanted, but when i sent the guy at adessa-project.com the list of what i wanted he was saying that JDM front fenders and bonnets are different to ADM...

So its got me paranoid that maybe the JDM TA22 is the same length engine bay as an RA23 or something....or maybe the same length engine bay but as wide as a RA23... Hes just spooked me i think. I'm sure the confusion is just that my side indicators are not there (because he has seen pictures of my car and knows about the bonnet mod etc)

The funny thing is on the web page it says that RA23 front fender is compatible with a TA22...which in my experience it isn't (hence further spook factor).

Also both these cars in the picture (above) wear the RA23 corner parking light but have the TA22 apron as apposed to this (below):
And in the product list on the adessa-project page the RA23 front fenders don't look to have the extra lip on the apron and fender (which might be the picture editing)

orange

Re: RA23 vs TA22 front ends...

Postby orange » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:07 pm

Bump - i fixex the first post entry...

MWP

Postby MWP » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:37 pm

orange wrote:The problem is I've been told that TA2x JDM front fenders are different compared to ADM TA22 front fenders :( There maybe some confusion from this source as my fenders have had the small side indicator port welded shut. In these pictures though (below) we can see something interesting.

I believe they are commonly known as "long nose" TA22's.
Google it, youll find more info.
Mark.
Daily: Toyota RAV4 ACA22R
Project: Celica GT4 ST185, Celica RA28 (1UZ-FE powered)
Previous: Camry VZV21R, Starlet GT Turbo, Corona RT104
Treasurer of the SA Classic Celica Club.

orange

Postby orange » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:20 pm

I didn't know about this fact...or i didn't believe it if i had over heard it :)
Been hunting info on it and found this link which is quite handy,
http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?1985-The-Classic-Celica-Thread-pre-1980./page5
(halfway down the page; description of how to differentiate between various gen 1's)
I'm still searching for more info on this though. If anyone knows a good place for info on dimensions of the long vs short fenders, its affect on the bonnet length/width and whether or not the chassis is actually different on a long nose TA22? eg longer wider engine bay etc.

Edit:
another relevant link with some pics of GTV dash and stuff.
http://tecclubinfo.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=project&action=print&thread=479

MWP

Postby MWP » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:36 pm

I think River on Toymods is the guy to ask about this...
Though it might take him a while to get back to you as i think he'll now be recovering from a cancer operation.
Mark.

orange

Postby orange » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 am

MWP wrote:I think River on Toymods is the guy to ask about this...
Though it might take him a while to get back to you as i think he'll now be recovering from a cancer operation.

Ahhh, I'll give him a PM.

He might have a million PM's though...

Will wait and see...

orange

Postby orange » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:02 pm

Here is another picture of the same two cars (i think) but from a different angle.

I think this orange car is a TA2? with the long nose....? I'm sure its not my imagination that front looks a little longer.

It also has a fancy apron (body kit aside) and the RA2x styled corner light, but as an indicator rather then parker...
Last edited by orange on Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

orange

Postby orange » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:30 pm

"You are confusssseddd....VERY confusssseeeddd"

Spot 10 differences between the above pic and this:

orange

Postby orange » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:13 pm

TA22 and RA23 bumpers are not interchangeable. (I've tested this)

You can see it here though

orange

Postby orange » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:00 pm

River wrote: Re: long nose vs short nose

Hi,

In Jan 1974 the JDM TA22 was made with a long nose, like the RA25/TA27 (which had the long-nose treatment from April 73).

While the JDM TA22 was long-nose, they continued producing the short-nose for export markets, such as Australia, until 1976. Then came the RA23/RA28 series.

You can swap the long/short noses on TA22 and also RA25/TA27 series. So, you can fit the long-nose TA22 to your existing short-nose model. You can even put a short nose onto an RA25!

You can't swap about the noses between the TA22 and the RA23... they are totally different.

If youwant to put a long nose front onto your TA22 you need to check the wheel arches. The 1973 (maybe 1974?) short nose TA22 had rounded lips on the wheels arches, and the long-nose had more squared lips. So, you may end up with rounded lips arches on the rear wheels, whith squred edged lips on the arches on the front. Not an issue, but just something you may want to know.

You will need the guards, bonnet and the radiator x-member to go change the noses.

seeyuzz river

(Toymods)

Having little knowledge of JDM Toyotas it took me a long time to understand what is being said here

HKS7MGT

Postby HKS7MGT » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:03 pm

i can't believe i didn't chime into this conversation.

you have it right on the nose - the long nose (no pun intended). after the ta27/ra25 (original liftback models) were launched, they started to release that long nose front end on ta22 coupes (as river details)

the main differences I've noticed between the slant nose xA2x (cause the yanks received them to as RA20/21's ) and the long nose TA27/RA25 and the optional later JDM ONLY TA22's are;
- the bonnet has two elegant groves that blend into the front of the bonnet unlike the slant nose where it has a single grove and the xA23/8 where they form a box like shape like they got lost half way down and needed a hand or something (lots of pun intended - lol)
- the bonnet vents (which are soo awesome) are three box shaped vents leaning outwards
- the apron bit under the front bumper is unique to the long nose front as it appears on all long nose models - TA27, RA25, and the long nose TA22) even the front indicators are different shaped being more smiley - lol
- the guards and different
- i thought the light and grill assembly could be used on a xA23/28 but river knows best. the grill can be used on 23/28's at least

I did learn that the GT models had different lenses on the front guards from the ST or LT models (but thats another topic)

moltenash

Postby moltenash » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:39 pm

Did the JDM version TA22 move to a long nose because of an engine change or was it just a styling update?

MWP

Postby MWP » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:46 pm

moltenash wrote:Did the JDM version TA22 move to a long nose because of an engine change or was it just a styling update?

Stying i think.
The USDM got RA21's which were short nose.
Mark.

Return to “Technical Discussions”