[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5282: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5282: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3903)
Car modifications in SA - Whats legal? - Page 2 - Classic Celica Club of South Australia Forum

Car modifications in SA - Whats legal?

Write ups and tutorials for maintenance and modifications.
(Threads will be moved here by moderators)
orange

Re: Car modifications in SA - Whats legal?

Postby orange » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:36 am

Do you know an online source for more information MWP?
There has to be more?
I'd be interested to know if theres anything about fibreglass/CF?

edit:
couldnt find anything concrete on toymods accept that CF bonnets are illegal in Queensland.

MWP

Postby MWP » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:04 pm

What do you want to know?
I can ask the same guy...
Mark.
Daily: Toyota RAV4 ACA22R
Project: ,
Previous: Camry VZV21R, , Corona RT104
Treasurer of the .

orange

Postby orange » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:38 pm

Well, would exact copies of factory panels made from:
a) fibreglass
b)carbon fibre
(from Japan) be street legal in SA.
There isn't any public information to say otherwise.

MWP

Postby MWP » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:11 pm

But which panels?
Bonnet is a no-go, guards are ok, boot-lid/hatch is ok (i think), dunno about doors.
Mark.
Treasurer of the .

damian
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby damian » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:41 pm

oh, pretty sure guards a no go as they form part of the crumple zone

doors I woulda thought too, but maybe ok with side intrusion bars?

boot sorta surprised if it is ok, again, crumple zone for rear end.

will be interested to find out
Street RA-23
Track TA-23

orange

Postby orange » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:48 pm

i get the feeling if you go through regency to do it the right way youd get your o ring pummeled but then there are cars out there with cf and fiberglass bonnets so maybe its something that gets picked up if some authorative figure feels like it... ive seen ford mustangs with fibreglass bonnets and the ring clips etc and many of their front bars are fibreglass too.

Wel i guess its either legal or its not.

Someone suggested i call SAPOL and ask to have a chat with a traffic Sargeant. So ill do that at some stage.

MWP

Postby MWP » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:07 am

Dont call SAPOL, they know bollocks all.

I know they guy that signs off modifications like this at DTEI vehicle standards (aka regency).
Write your question for him, and ill email it. He'll probably reply on the same day.
Mark.
Treasurer of the .

hamza
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby hamza » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:50 pm

what about those sunshades that you see bolted to the top of the wind shields on oldr cars?
Project~ 18RGD22

Daily~ '90 Golf Mk2 GTI

MWP

Postby MWP » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:18 pm

Mark.
Treasurer of the .

orange

Postby orange » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:19 pm

Would an exact copy of a factory patterned panel for a 1970`s Toyota made from:
a) fibreglass
b) carbon fibre
(from Japan) be street legal in SA.
If no what if a saftey data sheet from the producer in Japan are supplied;
If still no what if an Adelaide based automotive engineer signs for it?

I think that question is pretty comprehensive.
Thanks for emailing it :-)

MWP

Postby MWP » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:51 pm

Ok, has been emailed.
Would have been better if you specified which panel... but we'll see what he says.
Mark.
Treasurer of the .

damian

Postby damian » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:06 am

um, from my experience, a safety data sheet is about what the product is made out of, and how to handle it safely, and what to do in case of a spill, etc.
SDS are not normally about strength or crash worthiness, but I may be wrong in this case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Material_safety_data_sheet

http://safeworkaustralia.gov.au/SafetyI ... /MSDS.aspx
Street RA-23
Track TA-23

MWP

Postby MWP » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Mark.
Treasurer of the .

MWP

Postby MWP » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:48 pm

Mark.
Treasurer of the .

orange

Postby orange » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:40 pm

Yes Damian, i know what you mean. I didnt mean SDS in terms of Aussie OH&S i just meant in loose terms. I`m sure in Japan that similar considerations are made about the panels saftey so maybe they wrote some paper about those issues and what they did about it.

On the bright side what MWP reports is promising. From what i have seen of these panels the only difference from the original is that they are made from a different material; they retain the identical pattern/design for the inner structure/framework. (Exception for the "optimal thickness" difference for each material.)

I was deliberately ambiguous about "panels" because if i go ahead i want to replace everything that i can, eg:
-front and rear bumper
-radiator grille "garnish" (plenum bits behind the bumper)
-front defector/'apron'
-chin spoiler, rear spoiler
-bonnet
-front fenders
-doors
-boot
but not wheel arch flares or wing mirrors.

Thanks again for emailing that guy MWP i appreiciate it.

Return to “HOWTO's / FAQ's”